: Dept. de Ambiente e Espaços Verdes, Câmara Municipal de Lisboa
The park is located in the Southwest part of Lisbon, occupying one of the seven Lisbon's hills, the one that gives his name to the park - Monsanto.
Here we are almost in the centre of the city, only 15 min away by bus, it is also a very important scenic feature for those who cross the Tagus river and those who work everyday in the city.
This is a very young periurban park, it has only 66 years, since the first plantations begun in 1934 in the deforested Monsanto's hills. The first thoughts began as earlier as 1888 with the idea of copying some similar parks around Europe and to provide providing a closer source of wood, for energy purposes, to the demanding city of Lisbon. These first ideas took importance and gave birth to dense woods, with some recreational facilities, viewpoints, tracks and restaurants.
Nowadays, the City Council through its Environment Department had defined a new document, which emphasises new concepts in planning and management that improves the awareness of the ecological importance of the park and looks forward to improve the sustainable use by the people.