A new biodiversity strategy running until 2020 – to conserve and enhance natural assets
and manage them sustainably, ensuring nature delivers what we need.
This should protect species and their habitats, help us combat climate change and adapt to
its impacts and contribute to meeting the goals of the EU's resource-efficient Europe
Unlike the previous approach – too wide-ranging and not effective enough – the new strategy
focuses more tightly on 6 priority targets (and corresponding measures) that aim to:
• enhance efforts to protect species and habitats
• maintain and restore ecosystems and their services
• anchor biodiversity goals in the most relevant EU policy areas: farming, forests and
• combat invasive alien species
• step up the EU contribution to averting global biodiversity loss.